This is a very rare picture that emerged once I started to browse through my old pictures. I took this shot more than 10 years ago during my visit at the USS Intrepid, right after I read the news that Concorde is coming to town. This unique Concorde Alpha Delta G-BOAD – British Airways supersonic jet arrived to the USS Intrepid on the barge – and you can see her still sitting on the barge, ready to be unloaded. You might have noticed already that I am really into planes, this magnificent plane is in my top three. My favourites: Supermarine Spitfire, MiG-29 and Concorde – all of them are very special.
Back to Concorde – what a magnificent plane, how futuristic and ahead of its days, even for todays standards, it’s still like a science fiction creation! To bad that we, as a civilisation, seem to go backwards in time – we have no Space Shuttles, we do not fly to the moon, we do not travel supersonic anymore.
This particular aircraft, serial no. 100-010, registered under the G-BOAD sign, first flew on August 25, 1976. With a crew of nine, she could fly at 1,350 mph (2,150 km/h) at an altitude of 60,000 ft (18,181 m), where its 100 passengers could see the curvature of the Earth. The fastest Atlantic crossing by a Concorde occurred on the 7th of February 1996 and took 2 hours, 52 minutes, and 59 seconds. Just an astonishing machine – too bad that I will never see it flying, let alone fly it.
You can visit this Concorde here. It’s worth it, really.
Most recent stories
- Concorde Alpha Delta G-BOAD – British Airways supersonic jet at the USS Intrepid
- Warsaw downtown panorama – view from the top of the PASTa building
- Down the FFOWB bunkers once again
- Apple Macintosh Powerbook 170 – purchased today
- Dar Młodzieży – large Polish sailing vessel in Gdynia
- Find the goat
- Springtime in Włochy
- Bicycle project Ukraina gains momentum
- All your base are belong to us
- Testing the OtterBox Preserver waterproof case
- Project “Ukraine” has been initialised
- New Facebook Paper app is here – first screens. It’s clean!
- Woman pictured on the wall – graffiti done right
- Sunny winter Saturday in Włochy – panorama
- Siri tells a bedtime story
Tags, tags, tagsairplane animal apple architecture bicycle bird cars city clouds cooking Dermandar DMD facebook fail food Forfiter Google Home internet iPhone Kraków Manhattan museum music Nasza Miska NaszaMiska.pl New York nonsense panorama photography Poland Porsche religion sky snow technology travel USA vacation video vintage Warsaw winter Wrocław Włochy